Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Additional Assignment #1

Pitcairn islands map
A. Google Squared is good for research, especially research papers. Instead of browsing around, trying to find a reliable source, you have all the information already put together for you in a table. This way, you can get your work done faster and your time is spent in a more productive manner. It's also very adaptive to your needs. If something isn't listed that you want to know, just add it.

B. I love Wolfram Alpha. This site puts information together for you in charts and graphs. It also shares statistics. This site would be more beneficial to the "visual learner". With these sites together, you have information presented to you in different ways so that you can more fully understand what it is you are learning about. I think these sites should be used in conjunction so one can get the full picture. I wish I would have known about these sites earlier. I think they are a tremendous asset to all students.

C. Yes I knew about Google Squared, although I had yet to take advantage of it's benefits.

D. I did not know about Wolfram Alpha.

E. Well "Did You Know" is a video of statistics put together in a flashy show that includes music. I still like the video and I think that the information wasn't misconstrued. I think it is a good video that makes a valid point.

F. It's just like you said. You have to step back and see what the statistics are trying to show you. What are they trying to make you believe? Just like anything, they can be put together in a way to manipulate your thinking. So you have to be aware of the context of the statistics your faced with. Just use critical thinking and don't always take them at "face value".




Food for thought:
I think it is beneficial because if he could use it and he is illiterate then doesn't that even out the playing field a little bit??

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jenny!
    Great post! I agree that Google Squared is a great way to get things finished more efficiently! I read that you have a husband and I daughter so I'm sure that any time that can be saved for you is valuable! I had no idea about Google Squared before this class (or most of the other sites we've learned for that matter) but I think it'll be a big help. I also agree that the "Did You Know" video was very intense with it's statistics, but you also have to keep in mind the different demographics of some of the places that were listed. Great post and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete