Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Blog Post 4

finger pointing at you


Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff Please by Scott McCleod

I appreciate that we are assigned interesting material. It's not long articles that are politically correct, which we have been assigned to read all of our life. I like reading things that are arguable and different. I like that he says things that can make people mad. Anger can make you think about why you believe what you believe and if you believe it for legitimate reasons. I like that he started out be outlining all the fears and stereotypes parents and some teachers have about the internet. The truth is, students will find trouble of they look for it. The internet is definitely no exception. But I believe if used correctly, it can positively impact our schools. If students are bored in school (and most are) and they don't see how what they are learning relates to the "real world" (which most don't) then it is HARD to pay attention and care about school. If you add things like technology, and show them why what they are learning actually matters and can help them day to day, I think that in itself will raise tests scores tremendously and end a lot of discipline problems in the school system. Alabama is one of the "dumbest" states, so we could definitely use some change. That's just a fact.

Well when I "Googled" Scott McLeod A LOT of information came up. He has a website called Dangerously Irrelevant and I actually saw my comment on the side of the page. WOW! I also noticed that he has the "Did You Know" videos on his site. Basically, this website is dedicated to technology and leadership, seeing change in schools. He blogs a lot about technology and schools. I looked it over and decided that I am going to visit this site often. I feel I have a lot I can learn from this man. As a future teacher, it is my responsibility and duty to society to always be learning.

The iSchool Initiative

I thought this was a really cool idea. One, because it's from a high school senior. A lot of students in high school are not worrying about how to improve education... Way to step out and be a leader.

I think the idea is great. BUT, if I were the student, I would rather use the iPad. I don't really like things that are really small. The pictures are small, it's just way too small for me. I think the iPad would be much better for learning. It fits much better on a desk and the pictures would be a lot bigger. I think it's a lot easier to wrap you brain around a concept when you can actually see it in a decent size. The iTouch is just tiny! You would be looking at like microscopic pictures. I don't like that at all. I think that teacher's would also have a problem with students putting their iTouch in their laps.. and doing other things. The iPad fits confortably on a desk so the teacher can make sure students are on task.

Watch The Lost Generation

I am at a loss for words. I have chill bumps. That was the most moving thing I have seen in a long, long time. I LOVED it. We are always hearing how things are going from bad to worse. Statistical data seems to always seal our fates. We are herded into believing that this cultural downward spiral is unavoidable and normal. I constantly find myself worrying about becoming another statistic. That was so inspirational. I love to be inspired and she definitely touched me somewhere deep in my soul. I am going to share this with my family.

As far as the technique goes, where I'm concerned, she is a genius.I wasn't expecting it at all. I actually watched it twice because I loved it so much. How she sat there and figured that out.. is beyond me. She is very creative and I really, really liked the technique. I think we could use things like this in schools to motivate our students, which happen to be the future of our country.


Eric Whitaker's Virtual Choir and Jennifer Chamber's Post


Wow. I didn't even know this sort of thing was possible. How do you even do something like that? It just blows me away that technology allows that sort of thing ALREADY and I didn't even know it was possible.

While watching, it made me think. We are all in this thing called life TOGETHER. We are always fighting, going going going, and not stopping to SEE. At the end of the day, we are all the same. We are just people, living our lives, and hoping for the best.

2 comments:

  1. This is Blog Assignment #4 Please correct in your Title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprises abound. I had a tweet from dr. McLeod saying he really enjoyed getting your comments (as well as those of other EDM310 students). We are trying to work out an interview session. I'll put you on the list.

    I love my iPad. My wife likes hers even more. She is not a computer person but she uses her iPad all the time!

    Well written. Thoughtful. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete