Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Additional Assignment 2

Answers to Questions In Response to the Lecture by Sugata Mitra’s titled “How Kids Teach Themselves"


1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?


Yes, like he said, if children have interest, education happens. This statement is backed up by an experiment he conducted in South Africa.

2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?

Definitely, why wouldn't they be able to?

3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?

What is always necessary is RESOURCES! If children don't have access, they can't learn information. I like whe he said this: Education is a self-organizing system. It shows emergence and starts to do things it was never designed to do. It seems impossible. Learning is an emergent phenonmenon.


4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?

Computer and technology plays a huge role. Access to the internet is virtually synonomous with access to education/learning.

5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?

Motivation plays a HUGE role. If a student isn't motivated it is extremely hard to make yourself learn something. Motivation makes learning fun and much more productive.

6.What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?

Problems are a learning experience that teach you to overcome difficulties. In order to overcome them, you almost always learn something in the process.

7. How do you motivate someone to learn?

By teaching them something that they are interested in. If someone doesn't care about the subject at hand, or see anyway it relates to them or their every day life, then it is extremely hard to be motivated.

8. How are you motivated to learn?

I am motivated because I have a goal. To me, I want to do the best I can to have a positive impact on tomorrow's society. I want to educate children in a REAL way. A way that is effective and changes the current statistics. I want to teach students things that they really need to know and help them to be successful in today's society. In order to accomplish this, I first have to educate myself. I also need to keep in mind that there is always more to learn and I can always be taught something new, no matter what position I may be in.

9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?

Yeah, I think my hearing or seeing it they can. But they will take much less away from the experience and they may be unable to tie what they learned to the big picture.

10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?

Yes. Being in this class is an example. You have to teach yourself how to do things you have never done before. Every day, living life, you are always teaching yourself. You do this by people you meet, things you see and read, experiences you have.. etc. Everything, every day is a new learning experience.

11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?

A teacher is a guide. They play different roles depending on the structure of the particular class. They are there when you need help and give opinions and resources to help build your learning experience.

12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?

That the educational system is going to and needs to change and we have to be ready for it. But, that doesn't mean I like every aspect of it. I don't deny technology can seriously improve our system. BUT, I don't think it should be done from one's home. I think we should still go to school to get the social development while still benefiting from the technologies.

13. What other questions or issues are raised by this
video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?

What worries me is that we won't need near as many teachers if this all goes completely technological. I really want to teach. It is my life-long dream. I can go with the change, but I want us all to have a place in society to help make a difference while simultaneously supporting our families.

No comments:

Post a Comment