Saturday, October 30, 2010

Additional Assignment 3

picture of Ted Robinson
Ken Robinson's Changing Educational Paradigms


What do you think is the most important thing Sir Ken Robinson says in this presentation?


Well, it really stuck out to me when he talked about the ADHD issue. I had no idea that it was so prevalent in the south. I think it goes hand in hand with the stereotype that people from the south are stupid. My husband is from Iowa and I've been the butt of many jokes. I also am not sure if ADHD is real or not. If something is boring, it's boring. So you are going to take a pill to make it less boring?

It also stuck out to me that he said people work best in groups and that when you separate people, you are taking them out of their natural learning environment. I could see this being true during discussions. But writing papers, I find it much easier to work alone because I have to really get in the zone and focus.
Is there anything you disagree with in this presentation?

How congruent are Sir Ken Robinson's positions with those which you are being taught in the College of Education. In other words, where is there agreement? Where is there disagreement?

Well, the university (and almost every university) is set up the way he describes. It is just the format of the system. There are CLASSES that don't operate in the traditional matter. But as far as how departments and majors are grouped, it is the same. I hadn't heard his position on education until this semester. Two of my teachers have similiar views. I was totally unaware of this issue/problem until this semester.

What can you do to address the issues Sir Robinson raises?

Well, the debate of "i'm just one person" comes into play here. That is true, but in history it is often that one person that makes a difference. We have the ability to ignite change. If we all helped each other, we could definitely see it in our lifetime. We just have to be sure of what we believe and why. The first step to solving a problem is recognizing there is a problem. So I'd say we are headed in the right direction, if change is what you are after.

What do you think of the presentation? If you had to do a presentation with others like this, what role on your team would you like most to play?
Idea Generator?
Author?
Narrator?
Designer?
Artist?
Sound Effects?
Other?

I really liked the presentation. Having the drawings put to words gave a lot more emphasis and real understanding of the point he was trying to make. It helped me to focus on just the video because not only was I listening, I was also reading and watching simultaneously. I would like to watch more videos like this. If I had to be a part of a group doing this, I would most likely want to be the narrator. I'm a social person. Art is definitely NOT my strong suit. Even my stick figures are ugly. So any art related jobs would definitely be out of the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment