Thursday, October 7, 2010

Summary Post for C4T Teacher #2

flags in the sky

The blog I was supposed to comment on was ELT, Good at English. I had a really hard time with the assignment. I am the kind of person that can't lie about my opinion. If I don't agree with something and it bothers me on an ethical level, then I have a hard time. I just didn't agree with a lot of the things this teacher was saying. I didn't want to comment because I felt it wasn't my place to share my feelings and it would be innapropriate to have that discussion with a licensed teacher. I also don't want to make any enemies. I am in college, so I realize I don't know much in comparison. But if I were forced to comment on this blog, this is what I would have submitted. With that said, keep in mind I find this very innapropriate on my part and I would not be comfortable submitting this comment.

The post was titled, "Maintaining Oral Standards". It about the current controversy surrounding oral testing. It talks about problems with the grading scale, since different teachers have different opinions. It also talked about how she believed her students to be "weaker learners". I had a problem with this because I feel that it is your job as a teacher to educate and uplift your students, not talk negatively about them. I also don't think that oral testing is right, which reflects my issues with dialects being discriminated against. If you would like me to elaborate on this subject, just email me and I'd be happy to share with you my opinions. Here is what my short response would have been:

Hey, I am in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I was instructed to comment on your blog. Our class blog is http://edm310.blogspot.com/ and my personal blog is http://blackjennyedm310.blogspot.com/.
Although I am not a teacher yet, I can understand how and why it might be frustrating sometimes. But, I was just thinking.. What if one of your students or their parents happened to see this post? How do you think it would make them feel calling them "largely weaker learners"? I know that if I heard my teacher say that about me, it would really hurt me. I really cared about what my teacher thought of me when I was younger. I also believed what they said about me. Thanks for letting me read your blog and if you'd like to reach me, feel free.
Thanks again,
Jenny Black

I have also read over a few other posts of hers. I tried to leave a comment and the site would not let me. But the second post I read was titled, "A New Meeting Place for ELT Professionals." This post is about how these teachers are using Twitter as a way to communicate ideas, problems, and more. I really think that is a very beneficial way to use technology. Again, the site wouldn't let me post my comment, but this is what it said:

Hey, I am in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I was instructed to comment on your blog. Our class blog is http://edm310.blogspot.com/ and my personal blog is http://blackjennyedm310.blogspot.com/.

I think it is really cool to utilize technology in this way. I think it is very beneficial to be able to communicate with teachers outside of your school district and state about issues. This way, you can see what our nation's issues as a whole are and see what is working for other teachers. As a new mom, I enjoy being able to talk with other moms and find out whats "normal" and what other children are doing at the same age as my daughters. I think learning from other teachers experiences and successes can save one a lot of time, errors, and improve one's overall teaching quality. I also think it is a good quality to possess to be open to learning from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment