Saturday, November 6, 2010

Summary Post C4T #3




I am going to include a link to the original blog post I commented on, because it was AMAZING and I think everyone should read it. It is so true and so raw.

Mr. Couros,

I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. I am an aspiring teacher. If you need to reach me for any reason, my blog is http://blackjennyedm310.blogspot.com/.

First of all, I'd like to thank my professor for assigning me to comment on your blog. I feel like anything I say, is going to do this post serious injustice because it's just THAT good. Also, I'd like to thank you. You've done something a lot of teachers are too prideful to do and you noticed something that some teachers don't ever realize. I can relate to Ashley in the aspect of sports. I also love sports and played every sport I could in high school. The difference with me is that I loved school, so dropping out wasn't as issue. But my love for school coincides with my love for social interaction. I went to school where almost everyone was White and everything we read about, learned about or did was tailored to my needs as a White, middle class child. You see, school worked for me. But school was also built around MY needs. What about all the other students? I think this issue clearly ties in with the color line. If school wasn't built around your needs, then are you really going to fit in? Is the system really going to work for you? Students need and want to go to a place where their culture is acknowledged, appreciated, and incorporated into the classroom. If I, as a White middle-class student, went to school every day with ALL Black students, ALL Black teachers and learned only about Blacks and Black history, and no one understood my culture, would the system be working for me? Would I feel like I had a place and I belonged there? Probably not. We need to educate all students. Different people have different needs, learning styles, languages, history, and culture. So why do we educate children all the same way?

Out of that rabbit hole and back to your post- I sincerely appreciate reading something like this. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is one. You called some very important things to light. These are things that educators need to be thinking about. We need to realize what a big impact we can have on student's lives and what an important job we have been given. If schools don't educate and teach people how to be successful, who will? We, as teachers, hold the next generation in our hands every day. We get them from 8-3. Let's make the most of the time we are given and do what we are supposed to do, whether it's for the sake of having a job or because we really do care.

Thanks for the VERY inspiring post. I will be a frequent visitor to your blog from now on.

Jenny Black


Here is my comment on Perfect Practice by Kevin Creutz

This post was about how there is never really anything called perfect practice makes perfect. It's really about imperfect practice makes perfect. Without risks, we won't grow. Attached below is my comment.


Hello!

My name is Jenny Black and I am a student in Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class at the University of South Alabama. I really enjoyed your post. What is life without risk? Can you ever really learn without making mistakes? If something is perfect every time does that imply its stagnant and ineffective? Risks are good and we learn from mistakes. I think your students are very lucky to have someone that is willing to step outside the box. Great post!

No comments:

Post a Comment